Recharge your self and your love of medicine. Immerse in wilderness adventures during the daytime, luxuriate in comfort in the evening. Enjoy our gorgeous post and beam cedar lodge on the ocean's edge, watching waves crash as you are led through mindfulness or yoga in our upper story studio room.
Couples welcome. Part of the course reviews how the demands of a medical career can impact relationships; and how to meet these challenges with time-honoured relationship skills, love, humour, wisdom, and creative approaches.
The week is spent with a balance between relaxing, athletic wilderness activities, and the valuable process of learning and discussing information and tools for high performance living.
Each morning begins with mindfulness and stretching or accessible yoga, with opportunities to advance your practice if you are experienced. Daytime options include hiking through the coastal forest, up mountains, or along beaches, stand up paddle board with First Nations history as to the area, or surfing or boogie boarding on one of several gorgeous beaches. Healthy food is provided with the option for cooking classes. The wilderness guides, guided mindfulness, yoga and fitness instruction, outdoor gear, and travel is part of the all inclusive program, along with accommodation and the physician program for wellness.
Three talks during the week address the science of renewal, and group discussions integrate your understanding and shared experiences, with handouts from the talks provided for later reference. Based in mindfulness and the neuroscience of resilience, stress responses, and adaptive neural networks, the program is also informed by physician guidance from Dr. Michael F. Myers and Dr. Anthony Sehon, two experienced experts in the field of physician health.
In addition to the group talks, one to one sessions are an option for you during the week to develop a personalized mindfulness plan, with the possibility of follow up after the retreat is finished via skype or in person if you live in Vancouver, Canada.
The goal is your vibrant self, present in work and life, and to enhance your love of your medical practice.
The weeks are currently open to allied health care professionals, as well as physicians.
Note: The retreats are for wellness and prevention, and not to be taken as medical advice; please talk to your medical professional for any medical or psychiatric inquiries.
Your Package Includes:
- Seven nights accommodation at the waterfront lodge
- Three meals per day and snacks for optimal energy
- Five cooking lessons on how to prepare and cook healthy meals with organic and locally sourced ingredients
- Guided canoe and culture excursion with local First Nations to Meares Island
- One Stand Up Paddleboard Lesson and Tour
- Daily guided hikes
- Option for one year fitness plan with follow up coaching
- Daily yoga, meditation or mindfulness classes
- One 45 minute Relaxation massage
- Three hour surf lesson or water sport adventure
- Wellness guidance based in science
- Physician Wellness Program: a review of the current challenges facing physicians with statistics and relevant literature, a review of mindfulness and wellness science, how to develop an action plan for wellness to sustain in day to day career life, work life balance
- Physician Wellness Booklet for future reference
A day at The Homestead Tofino:
- 6am — Sunrise yoga
- 7am — Breakfast
- 8:30am - Talk on Mindfulness and Short Practice
- 9:30am — Canoe excursion to Meares Island
- 12 Noon — Lunch
- 1pm — Guided hike through temperate rainforest
- 4pm - Discussion on Mindfulness in the Workplace
- 5pm — Cooking lesson
- 6pm — Dinner
- 7:30pm — One to one session to develop a customized plan
- 8:30pm — Free time, social, hot tub
- 10pm — Lights out